Happy New Year and welcome to 2017!!
Thank you for being a part of BIRDHOME in 2016 and buying a home with us. We want you to start off 2017 on the right real estate foot by filing your homestead exemption form so you can SAVE MONEY on your tax bill at the end of the year.
Depending on the price of your home, filing this exemption can potentially save you thousands of dollars per year.
Who should apply?
You! If you bought a home in 2016 and it is your primary residence, the time to apply and save is now. The deadline to apply is anytime between January 1st and April 30th.
How to Apply for a Homestead Exemption
Below are a list of counties where we sell real estate. Depending on where you live, you will download and file differently.
Mailing Address: P.O. BOX 149012, Austin, TX 78714-9012
Mailing Address: 625 FM 1460, Georgetown, TX 78626-8050
Mailing Address: 21001 IH 35 North, Kyle, Texas 78640
What you will need to file
Besides filling out the form and sending it in, you will also need to send a copy of your Texas driver's license and the address must match the homestead address.
Cost of filing for a homestead exemption
There is absolutely no cost associated with filing your homestead exemption. You will get mail from third party vendors offering to file your exemption for a fee. Do not pay them to file for you.
Texas Comptroller’s FAQ
Texas Property Tax Exemptions Tax Code
Other Exemptions you can potentially file for are here.
As a quick recap….
(1) If you bought a home in 2016, and
(2) it’s your primary residence as of January 1st, 2017, you can
(3) apply for a homestead exemption with your county appraisal district.
(4) The deadline to file is April 30th, 2017 and
(5) you will need to include a current Texas driver’s license or ID with the address matching the homestead address.
(6) The cost associated with filing for the exemption is ABSOLUTELY FREE.